If you have always wanted to to be able do something crafty and artistic as well as record precious photographic memories then scrapbooking is the hobby for you. If you are wanting to know how to scrapbook I will take you through with a guide on how to scrapbook from start to finish.
Lets learn how to scrapbook for beginners with a list of scrapbooking essentials
See these craft classes in Essex ideas for more fun hobby ideas
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to yourself.
What is scrapbooking?
Scrapbooking is a method of storing photos in a beautiful way and preserving them with written memories and embellishments. Storing photos is often overlooked and now we have digital cameras it is even more important that we actually print them off and use them. We take more photographs now than ever before but we often do not print them or get them off of our cameras.
Not only can you use photos in your scrapbooking page but you can incorporate used ticket stubs and other memorabilia from your travels straight on to your page.
The history of Scrapbooking
The History of Scrapbooking dates back to as early as the 15th century when it was in the form of personal diaries but it really became popular as photographs started to become available around the turn of the 20th century. Victorians loved to decorate albums with postcards, decoupage and photographs.
In later years with the popular hobby of genealogists researching family trees scrapbooking started to become popular again to preserve these precious memories.
The first scrapbooking shop was founded in Utah in 1981 called Keeping Memories Alive. Originally scrapbook pages were any size but particularly 8 1/2 by 11 inches now the popular size is are 12 by 12 inches to adapt to fitting up to 6, 6 by 4 inch photos.
There was a great surge in scrapbooking in the 1990s with magazines such as Creating Keepsakes and Memory Makers teaching people how to scrapbook.
Since then the hobby of keeping and making scrapbooks has gone from strength to strength and is a paper crafting hobby that is seen world wide.
How do I start scrapbooking and what supplies do you need to start scrapbooking?
When you are learning how to scrapbook there are a few scrapbooking essentials that you will need. What do I need in my Scrapbooking starter kit? Your starter kit should consist of a few essential tools such as scissors, paper trimmer and yardstick. There are lots of pretty little extras you can purchase too check out these essentials steps of getting started on learning how to page a scrapbooking album.
Step One; choose your scrapbooking size.
A scrapbooking album is used to hold your scrapbook pages that you have made. What size are scrapbook albums? Scrapbook albums come in a variety of sizes;
- 12 x 12 inches
- 8 1/2 by 11 inches
- 6 x 6 inches
- planner books
- mini albums
- Or any size you choose!
- You may even decide to do digital scrapbooking all on the computer.
Decide on what size you would like your scrapbook to be and and get some card to start.
You don’t even need the album at first you could buy a small planner book and embellish it.
Step two; use the correct adhesives and papers
Starting scrapbooking is easy but there are few things to bear in mind. You will want your photos to last the test of time so it is imperative that you use archival quality materials and acid free glue. Glues and tapes should all be acid free to stop the corroding or discolouration of your photos.
Your precious photos need to be protected and saved for years to come.
Step three; gather your scrapbooking tools.
To make a scrapbook you will need various tools depending on what you would like to achieve.
You will need these basic scrapbooking essentials;
- Scissors and or a paper trimmer
- Glue, wet glue or double sided tape
- Pen for writing
- A scrapbooking album in your size choice
As well as the basic supplies you may want to get some extra things;
- Patterned paper or card
- Embellishments such as ribbon or buttons
- A cutting mat
- A craft knife
- Coloured inks pads
How to scrapbook a basic scrapbook page step by step
Scrapbooking a page is normally done in a fairly straight forward process starting with your photo. Take these steps to create a beautiful scrapbooking page.
- Choose your photo, one photo or as many as you like
- Choose some patterned paper that matches or compliments your photo
- Create a background with Cardstock and cut patterned paper
- Mount your photo on to paper or card using archival glue
- Position your photos on the page and glue in place
- Add journaling about your photos with a pen or cut from printed paper
- Embellish your page with eye-catching pieces for a visual effect
- Put your page in to a page protector
- Pop your page in to an album
How to scrapbook tips
Bear these tips in mind when you are making your first page.
- Choose one moment in time in your photos to scrapbook.
- Scan old heritage photos or use photo corners to keep them safe.
- Try using watercolour paints to create a mixed media background.
- Use stamps and ink pads to create background patterns.
- Print clip art out at home and cut it out for extra embellishments.
- Pick a colour scheme for a more uniform look.
- Tell a story, what was happening in the photo?
- Add old tickets and maps into pockets on pages.
- Draw, paint or doodle on your page.
- Don’t forget to date your page.
- Where were you? make a note of where the photo was taken.
- Crop photos don’t if the background has access landscape or space.
- Use ribbon, paper flowers or thread to decorate your page.
- Add texture to your page, tear corners of paper or distress edges.
- Use wet glue to attach tiny items such as sequins.
- Use double sided tape or reposition-able tape for photos and paper.
- Don’t worry about how your page looks, It is your own personal idea.
What are scrapbooking embellishments? Things you can use to embellish your page
Try these things found around the home to embellish your scrapbooking page
- Paper brads
- Cut out items from patterned paper
- Computer clip art
- Badges ( flair Badges )
- Embroidery thread
Supplies you can splash out on for scrapbooking
If scrapbooking becomes your go to hobby there are many other scrapbook and paper crafting gadgets out there that can enhance your scrapbooking even more!
Cutting machines for scrapbooking
Cutting machines take the hard work out of designing your pages. Many companies design scrapbooking cut files specifically for scrapbookers. Here are a few of the most popular cutting machines on the market.
- The Cricut cutting machine a smart paper cutting machine
- The silhouette cutting machine desktop cutting machine
- The big shot cutting machine manual die cutting machine
Inks, Stencils and stamps for scrapbooking
Inks, stencils and stamps play a great role in decorating your scrapbooking page. Try a range of inks to hi light the edges of the card or create a colourful background.
Stamping can be fun and images can be restamped time and time again.
Sewing on a scrapbook page
Sewing on a scrapbook page is a great way to add texture to a page. Try using a sewing machine to add interest to your scrapbook layout.
Creating your own dedicated craft space to scrapbook
Some pages and albums can require some time so finding somewhere to scrapbook and leave out your treasured craft items can be tricky. Find somewhere to scrap where maybe you can leave out your supplies. A small corner of the kitchen or even a hobby crafting lap tray can come in handy.
Take a look at these great hobbies and ideas for creating at home.
Online sewing classes to bring your sewing hobby to the next level.
Thank you for reading my How to scrapbook guide have fun creating memories.